Does Comcast Tech Support Even Read Email Before Replying?

OK, maybe I should have gone straight to live chat, but didn't think the problem was urgent enough to warrant taking that much of my time, so I started with email. The problem, from the email I sent via the support web site:

I have had a personal web site at home.comcast.net/~jwatne for as long
as I have been a Comcast customer, but the site has shown up as being
"Temporarily Disabled" for the past couple months or so. Also, when I
try to ftp to upload files using my name and password, neither of which
have changed since my last successful upload, I get a "530 Login
incorrect" error. What is going on?

-
Browser: Default
OS: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_7_2) AppleWebKit/534.52.7
(KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1.2 Safari/534.52.7
The response? A lengthy boilerplate about how to use ftp - in Windows. On top of that, it was outdated, with lots of dead links and advice such as "Simply log in, then select Online Storage from the 'More' menu, and follow the instructions on that page," when there is no "More" menu on the page.

A cursory read of the first sentence of my email should show that the primary issue is that my personal web site, which I have had for years, now shows up as "Temporarily Disabled". Obviously, my main problem is not that I do not know how to use ftp since that is what I have used for years to update pages on the site - and I would need to know as much as I did about using it to get to the point where I mention that I am getting the "530 Login incorrect" error. On top of that, look at the OS information toward the end of the post, after the line "Browser: Default". Even if my problem were total unfamiliarity with ftp, see a problem with giving the instructions for using it in Windows? Granted, the ftp command line syntax is the same in Windows as in OS/X and other Posix-compliant operating systems, but if the instructions were written for someone who needs to have their instructions on how to use a command line utility begin with the following:

To use the Command/DOS based FTP:

Windows NT, 2000, XP
1. Click Start at the bottom left of your screen
2. Select Run
3. Type: command
4. Click OK or press Enter
* A black window will appear where you will type the commands
* The prompt will display with a blinking cursor and should look like:
C:/ WINDOWS> ; C:/ ; etc.
... don't you think that level of user, if running a Mac, would need to have it spelled out how to launch OS/X's Terminal application?

Looks like I'll have to wait until I have time and feel up to conversing via live chat with what will likely be several levels of support staff. I'll tackle the inability to access my web mail that I just found, as well....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Using KeePass with Dropbox for Cross-Platform Password Management

Visiting CareLink Site on OS X Mavericks

Website FINALLY Adapted to Apple Silicon