Visiting CareLink Site on OS X Mavericks

Here is a tip for people who fall into the same small category as myself. If you
  • use a Medtronic insulin pump,
  • use the CareLink site to store your pump history,
  • use a Mac, and
  • are running OS X Mavericks for a time - short, I hope - after I write this post,
you will run into the problem that I ran into when I first attempted to upload my pump data after upgrading to Mavericks. You will get an error page stating,
Unfortunately, the configuration of your PC or web browser is not compatible with our standard system requirements.
This is because the only OS X versions supported are "MacOSX 10.5 (Intel), MacOSX 10.6/10.7/10.8". Unfortunately, Mavericks is version 10.9. Unlike the logic for the browser, which recognized that my Firefox 24.0 met the Firefox 5 requirement, the OS check does not appear to allow for future versions. The workaround that I am using, for now, is to use the Firefox User Agent Switcher plugin. After installing the plugin and restarting Firefox, create a new "Firefox on Mountain Lion" user agent as follows: Select Tools / Default User Agent / Edit User Agents...

Tools / Default User Agent / Edit User Agents...

In the "User Agents" section, choose New / New User Agent... New User Agent...

In the window that appears, you will see "... Intel Mac OS X 10.9;..." in the "User Agent" field.

default user agent values

Change the version from 10.9 to 10.8, and give a helpful description like "Firefox on Mountain Lion" in the "Description" field. Then, before visiting the CareLink site, select Tools / Default User Agent / Firefox on Mountain Lion [or whatever name you gave the user agent]. You will now be able to use the CareLink site!

Tools / Default User Agent / Firefox on Mountain Lion

Comments

John Watne said…
Update: I have not yet upgraded to OS X Yosemite and tested this out. Since I first published this, Medtronic has updated their CareLink software to work with Mavericks - just a few weeks before Yosemite was released. When I can find the time to do the upgrade, I hope to find that this plugin will again work. Perhaps I can set up a new user agent for OS X Mavericks.

Popular posts from this blog

Using KeePass with Dropbox for Cross-Platform Password Management

Website FINALLY Adapted to Apple Silicon